Tuesday, September 16, 2008

#87 - Brian MacLellan


One of the (many) things I love about this set is its use of color. OPC unapologetically used the proper team colors as the borders, and it looks really good in conjunction with the uniforms, even on teams like the Kings, Flyers and Whalers. It's not too much, it's not a jarring contrast.

Brian MacLellan is a player that I've always had the wrong idea about. He had a face that looked like it belonged on Mount Rushmore -- steely gaze, set chin -- and I think because of that I figured he was a rougher player than he was. In reality, while no shriking violet, he only got above 100 PIMs in a season once. Part of the problem: I frequently, then and now, confused him with Brad McCrimmon.

He bounced around for about ten years (speaking of wrong impressions -- it seemed like he was around forever, and I would have imagined his career lasted 'til 1998 or so), and once he left the Kings, it was pack-your-suitcases time as he went from the Rangers to the North Stars to the Flames to the Red Wings.

He's now in the Washington Capitals management team, and that's where I got this signed.

Brian MacLellan's stats at HockeyDB
MacLellan's profile at Legends of Hockey
MacLellan profile at Bowling Green, his alma mater
MacLellan's bio on the Washington Capitals page

No comments: